Happy Stroke Awareness Month! Given how prevalent strokes are worldwide, we thought it was important to share some alarming statistics about strokes:
- Stroke is the third leading cause of death in the United States. More than 140,000 people die each year from stroke in the United States.
- Stroke is the leading cause of serious, long-term disability in the United States.
- Each year, approximately 795,000 people suffer a stroke. About 600,000 of these are first attacks, and 185,000 are recurrent attacks.
- Nearly three-quarters of all strokes occur in people over the age of 65. The risk of having a stroke more than doubles each decade after the age of 55.
- Strokes can and do occur at ANY age. Nearly one fourth of strokes occur in people under the age of 65.
- Stroke death rates are higher for African-Americans than for whites, even at younger ages.
- On average, someone in the United States has a stroke every 40 seconds.
- Stroke accounted for about one of every 17 deaths in the United States in 2006. Stroke mortality for 2005 was 137,000.
- From 1995–2005, the stroke death rate fell ~30 percent and the actual number of stroke deaths declined ~14 percent.
- The risk of ischemic stroke in current smokers is about double that of nonsmokers after adjustment for other risk factors.
- Atrial fibrillation (AF) is an independent risk factor for stroke, increasing risk about five-fold.
- High blood pressure is the most important risk factor for stroke.
Source: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Given the high prevalence of a stroke, we encourage you make changes in your lives and not become a statistic. Here are some recommendations:
1. EXERCISE!!! Keep moving and staying active.
2. Eat a healthy diet
3. Monitor your blood pressure
4. Undergo a preventive health screen at your local medical clinic to identify any risk factors which may be prevented.
5. Improve your knowledge and understanding of a stroke.
We encourage you to follow the above suggestions. We can help you get started by customizing a wellness exercise program specific to your needs. Call Live Your Life Physical Therapy TODAY at 612-568-5506 or text “LYLPT” to 77453 to set up your evaluation. We will come to your home or the location of your choice. Your body deserves the right kind of care, and we can help you. Let us help you prepare for your journey to a good, healthy lifestyle.