Your thyroid plays an integral part in your overall health; affecting your metabolism, your skin & hair, your heart rate, and more. A problem with your thyroid can throw your entire body off; however, you may not be aware of symptoms.
Thyroid Cancer Facts
- Thyroid Cancer is the Most Common Endocrine Cancer – Your endocrine system is a group of glands that affect many aspects of your body and how it works; any change or problem in this system can cause the gland(s) to go haywire.
- Thyroid Hormones – The thyroid secretes 2 hormones (thyroxine & triiodythyronine) by using iodine it gets from your diet. These hormones are vital to your overall health.
- Thyroid Cancer Has Increased – Incidents of thyroid cancer have risen consistently over the years.
- Thyroid Cancers Diagnosed – Each year approximately 56,000 Americans are diagnosed with thyroid cancer.
- Gender – Thyroid cancer is more likely to occur in females than males at a ratio of 3:1. However, everyone should have their “neck check” because even at 3:1, thousands of males are diagnosed each year.
The Good News About Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer has a higher than 97% cure rate.
- Surgical removal of the affected side or sides of the thyroid is generally part of the cure; sometimes requiring complete removal of the thyroid itself.
- Targeted radiation, by taking a radioactive iodine pill, is commonly used after surgery to ensure all cancer cells are destroyed.
- Chemotherapy is sometimes utilized for thyroid cancer; however, in a minimal amount of cases.
- Regular blood work will ensure that your thyroid levels are where they should be.
If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer, the Thyroid Cancer Survivors Association offers an excellent brochure that explains the basics of thyroid cancer.
Live Your Life Physical Therapy wants you to Live Your Life CANCER FREE.
Dr. Eva Norman
President & Founder
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Live Your Life Physical Therapy, LLC
The Thyroid Cancer Association Website: http://www.thyca.org/
Photo by PublicDomainPictures (Pixabay)